Are you going to start a blog of your own, but cannot decide which platform to use? This choice can be tough for beginners as you are usually not clear about your priorities and features of the platforms are not known.
Here in this blog, the three most popular blogging platforms and their pros and cons are discussed that will help you choose the best for you and start your writing blog easily.
WordPress is indeed a professional platform for creating a website launched in 2003.WordPress.com and WordPress.org has their differences as WordPress.com is a lot simpler and easier to use but it also has its limitations. WordPress.org comes in a more proficient side.
WordPress.com provides a free hosting service for any blog. It is a simple and easy way to start a website. Start by signing up for the website, select a theme suitable for your website and start your journey on WordPress. It allows you to purchase extra features that are not available free. You can have a custom domain name for your website, extra storage and further services.
If you do not want premium features on your WordPress, this platform is the best for you to create a website for your writing blog. If you only need to create new content and post it on your WordPress, then this is a great choice for you.
- You do not need a proper setup to start.
- You have a range of formats to choose from.
- It is simple and easy to create and manage.
- It is free without the extra premium features.
- It does not include custom themes, you must choose from the given designs.
- You cannot run ads of your own but WordPress will run their advertisements on your website unless you purchase the premium feature.
- If you ever violate the terms and conditions set by WordPress, your account can be suspended at any moment, as you do not own it.
WordPress.org is a lot more customizable and functional than WordPress.com, as you have to pay more. It needs high technical skills to create and manage your site. It has more technology involved and has more options to play with. There is no limit here; you can create whatever you want to. It gives unlimited possibilities and access to work.
- It is flexible and has no limits.
- You have many post format options for different types of content.
- It is very popular so many third-party businesses are involved.
- You have control over everything you want to add to your website. It applies no boundary for you.
- It is the best platform to make money as you can have paid partnerships and online forums.
- You get a thousand free templates available and it gives you the freedom to create your own.
- WordPress allows you to create search engine optimized tags and URLs.
- You must pay about $100 per year for web hosting services and $15 per year for your domain name.
- You need high-technical skills to create and manage your website.
Blogger was launched in 1999 and played a vital role in promoting blogging as a profession, as it is the earliest blogging platform of them all. It was later sold to Google in 2003. It is completely free to create your Google account and start your writing blog on blogger.
It is simple and easy to start and use but you have a little more room than Tumblr so people who like a more customized blog would like it better. However, compared to Tumblr, it does not provide you enough interaction with other bloggers, so it becomes a negative point for some. It not only allows you to post text, but you can even add pictures and videos to make your blog more attractive.
- Blogger is completely free.
- You do not need any technical skills to create your writing blog here.
- You get many customization options to play with while choosing fonts and colors.
- Tons of free templates are available to choose from.
- It allows a lot of growth as you can start many pages and maintain them easily.
- It is reliable due to Google’s robust secure platform.
- You cannot add any additional features even when your blog is popular.
- You do not get unlimited templates and those available third-party designs are low in quality.
- You are restricted to use limited options to edit your theme.
- You get no updates and new features on the blogger.
- Your blog can be suspended by Google at any moment when you violate their terms, as you do not own the blog.
Tumblr was created in 2007 and until 2018; it has more than 400 million users. It is an entirely free platform for blog posts and is most basic out of these three platforms. There are many free templates available to choose from Tumblr. However, if you want premium quality themes having more freedom to customize, you can purchase them from a range of $9 to $49.
There is a great opportunity to grow on Tumblr because it has a big active audience. Get used to the unique format available there to be successful as a blogger on Tumblr. Just like Blogger, you do not get much growth because no plugin is there to improve the function of this platform. If you have high-quality images and videos to post on your blog, then Tumblr will be better choice.
- Tumblr is free to use, you only pay for the registration of an attached domain.
- It is very easy to start and maintain your blog on Tumblr.
- Tumblr is the best platform to post visual media. High-quality pictures, artworks, graphics, GIFs and videos work best here.
- It greatly handles media, but the text can also be published.
- You get more of a social media component in Tumblr instead of a blog.
- You can use freely available templates and create a customized theme with CSS.
- It does not allow the growth of your blog.
- Not all the available themes offer extra premium features.
- It is difficult to back up your blog on Tumblr and transfer it to another platform.
Keep your priorities, style in mind, and select the right platform for your writing blog. Everything has its pros and cons, but you must choose what suits you the best.